Week of June 19, 2022
- Start with an ice breaker like, “What was your favorite love song as a teenager?”
- Have someone pray as you begin
- Read Romans 12:9-21
- How does this passage help the reader to understand what Paul meant in Romans 12:1-2?
- How is our relationship with God connected to our relationship with others? (Including the poor, outsiders, enemies, and people who are hurting?)
- How do the commands in this passage reflect the general rule to love (v. 9) and the general rule for peace (v. 18)?
- Verse 9 says “let love be genuine” – literally, “unhypocritical” or “not play-acted.” What is the difference between genuine and “play-acted” love? What are the effects on a community where people’s love for one another is genuine? What are the effects on a community where love is play-acted? Have you ever been recipients of these kinds of love? When? How do your experiences give insight into this verse?
- Out of the two general commands – to love and be at peace – which is the harder one for you?
- Which of the specific commands in this passage the most difficult for you to keep?
- How do Romans 12:15 and 16 complement each other? How do they say the same thing?
- Which of these instructions do you most wish for your church to reflect?
- How can YOU contribute to help that wish come true?
- Close in prayer